Welcome to Woodham Ley Primary school's Young Carers page.
Our school's Young Carers Operational Lead is Miss. S White (Learning Mentor) and can be contacted via firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01268 753652.
Who is a young carer?
Young carers are children and young people under 18 years old who provide regular and on-going care to another person who is physically or mentally ill, disabled or misuses substances.
Many young people don’t see themselves as carers and may not realise there is practical and emotional support available in Essex.
You may be a young carer if you:
- care for a family member, because of illness, disability or old age
- help someone with bathing or dressing, going to the toilet or getting into/out of bed
- need to cook for your family
- look after money or organise the family budget
- help anyone to take medication regularly
- collect prescriptions or benefits on behalf of someone else or go shopping for the family
- look after brothers or sisters, by taking them to school, doing their laundry, or cooking their meals
- take care of housework, such as dusting, hoovering, washing or ironing
- speak on behalf of someone who has difficulty speaking or communicating for themselves
- translate or interpret for someone at home
The effects of being a young carer
You have responsibilities at home that prevent you from spending time with your friends, or inviting
them around your house.
You feel sad, angry, guilty or embarrassed about the help you give to anyone at home.
You feel upset that friends don’t have the same responsibilities.
You avoid telling anyone outside the family about your home situation.
Where can you access the Essex Young Carers Service?
Key workers are available across the whole of Essex and will be based in your local area.
They will visit you at home, school or somewhere else at an agreed time.
How can you access the service?
Families or young carers themselves can self-refer. This can be done via our online form or by emailing email@example.com.
Or a referral can be made by the school, please contact Miss. S White via email on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01268 753652 if you would like us to make a referral for you.
Young Carers Support and Information Website